Setting the Scene
What: 2017 Macdonald Cup, hosted by Yale
When: Saturday-Sunday, Sept. 30-Oct. 1 (54 holes)
Where: Par-70, 6,825-yard The Course at Yale, New Haven, Conn.
The Field: 13 teams (Brown, Bucknell, Central Connecticut State, Dartmouth, Fairfield, Fordham, Harvard, Penn, Princeton, St. Edwards, St. John's, Stirling, Yale)
Live Stats: GolfStat.com
About the Bison
• Juniors J.P. Raftery, Connor O'Brien and Ashton Radvansky will join sophomore Peter Bradbeer and freshman Chris Tanabe in the five-man lineup this week. It's the first time this fall that coach Michael Binney has used that combination.
• The Bison are coming off a sixth-place finish in a field of 14 at the Quechee Club Collegiate Challenge, hosted by Dartmouth last weekend. Raftery was the low Bison and a top-10 finisher (T-7th), posting scores of 71-73 for an even-par finish. Bradbeer was next at 149 total (76-73).
• Raftery has the team's low scoring average at 75.0, followed by O'Brien and Tanabe at 76.8. Tanabe has averaged 74.9 strokes over his last nine rounds rounds after starting 84-87 on a horrible weather day at Turning Stone in the season opener.
• Bucknell has claimed four sub-par rounds thus far: Raftery's 1-under 71 last week in Vermont, O'Brien's 4-under 67 at Cornell, Tanabe's 1-under 71 at Colgate's Alex Lagowitz Memorial Invitational, and Raftery's 1-under 71 at Turning Stone.
Bucknell at the Macdonald Cup
• This will be Bucknell's first appearance at the event, which debuted in 2003, although the Bison do have experience on Yale's home course. Most notably, Bucknell won Yale's spring invitational in April 2016 with rounds of 295-300. John Edler was the runner-up individually, while O'Brien (T-9th, 73-76) and Raftery (T-27th, 76-77) were also in the lineup for that event.
• Bucknell also played at The Course at Yale last spring, placing seventh in a field of 13 with rounds of 297-301. Raftery shot 75-70 to finish T-5th. Bradbeer (75-76) and O'Brien (80-78) also played that week and will be in the lineup this time around as well.
• Bucknell played at Yale six times between 1972-80, twice at the Eastern Championships and four times in Yale's fall invitational. The team's best finish was eighth in Yale's event in the fall of 1978.
• Harvard is the two-time defending champion at the Macdonald Cup. The Crimson posted 278-285-277 on the par-70 track. Boston College's Matt Naumec (64-69-67) was last year's medalist.
• Bucknell hosts its own fall invitational next weekend at the Bucknell Golf Club.