Setting the Scene
What: Spring TennisFest
When: Tuesday, March 13 – Wednesday, March 14
Where: Hilton Head, S.C. (various courts)
Tuesday, March 13
11:30 a.m. | Bucknell vs. South Carolina State | Hilton Head Beach and Tennis Resort
Wednesday, March 14
9 a.m. | Bucknell vs. George Mason | Van der Meer Tennis Center
6 p.m. | Bucknell vs. IUP | Chaplin Park Tennis Center
About the Bison
• Bucknell is 6-4 after a 5-0 win over Siena in its most recent match. Lisa Jouravleva, Paige Leavy, Mishi Papich, and Cayla Koch had singles wins for the Bison.
• The Bison are 6-4 through 10 matches for a third straight season.
• Jouravleva has won five consecutive matches to go to 8-1 this spring, all while playing on court one. The senior is 12th in program history in career singles wins with a record of 59-25.
• Koch has won three straight singles matches to improve to 4-5 this spring. She has found success on court four, posting a 4-2 record.
• Jouravleva also has a winning streak in doubles while playing with Leavy on court one. The pair has won four consecutive matches to improve to 8-2.
• The three Bucknell freshmen that have played this spring – Sofia Ayuso, Schuyler La Barge, and Cayla Koch – have combined for a winning record of 12-10.
Scouting the Opponents
• South Carolina State is playing for just the second time this year after opening with a 7-0 loss to Charleston Southern. The Bulldogs are the two-time defending MEAC champions, losing to Georgia in the opening round of the 2017 NCAA Tournament and Florida in the opening round of the 2016 NCAA Tournament.
• George Mason is 2-6 with six straight losses to Dayton, Duquesne, Richmond, No. 23 Virginia, Radford, and Navy. The Patriots went 15-9 last season.
• IUP is 5-1 following a 7-2 win over Michigan Tech in its most recent match. The Crimson Hawks are the defending PSAC champion and have qualified for the NCAA Division II Tournament in eight consecutive seasons.
Series History with the Opponents
• South Carolina State and Bucknell met just one time, a win by the Bulldogs in 2014.
• Bucknell is 4-2 in the all-time series with George Mason. The teams last played in 2014. The Bison won that match at the Van der Meer Tennis Center, the same location the teams will play at on Wednesday.
• The Bison are 2-0 all-time against IUP, including a 6-1 victory in 2016. Lisa Jouravleva and Mishi Papich had singles wins.
• Bucknell will play at Mount St. Mary’s on Wednesday, March 21.