Setting the Scene
What: Red Flash Classic
When: Sept. 15-16
Where: DeGol Arena (Loretto, Pa.)
Friday, Sept. 15
Bucknell at Saint Francis | 6:30 p.m. | Live Stats | Watch Live
Saturday, Sept. 16
Bucknell vs. Morehead State | 11:30 a.m. | Live Stats
Bucknell vs. Norfolk State | 2 p.m. | Live Stats
About the Bison
• Bucknell is 5-4 after going 1-2 at the Canisius Invitational. The Bison opened with a 3-0 win over the host Golden Griffins before falling 3-2 to Eastern Washington and 3-0 to Charlotte.
• Junior Blake Buchholz was named to the All-Tournament Team at the Canisius Invitational.
• The Bison rank first in the Patriot League and 16th in the nation in blocks/set (2.93).
• Sophomore Mimi Richards ranks first in the Patriot League and ninth in the nation in blocks/set (1.63).
• This weekend marks the final non-conference competition before the Bison open Patriot League play with home games against Army West Point and Colgate next weekend.
• Bucknell is one of three teams in the Patriot League with a winning record. The other two are Navy (9-1) and Colgate (7-2).
• The Bison are making their first ever appearance at the Red Flash Classic.
• Senior Luz Nagle has posted at least 20 assists in seven of the eight matches she has played, including a career-high 51 in a five-set win over Iona.
Scouting the Opponents
• Saint Francis is 4-6 overall after going 1-2 with losses to Youngstown State and Fort Wayne and a win over Akron at the YSU Invitational. The Red Flash rank second in the NEC in hitting percentage (.187). Kelsey Roush leads the conference in kills/set (3.84), while Jenna Veres leads in digs/set (5.62).
• Morehead State is 6-4 overall after going 2-1 with wins over South Carolina State and Troy and a loss to Middle Tennesse at the Comfort Inn Invitational. The Eagles rank second in the OVC in blocks/set (2.24) and aces/set (1.74). Maddie Fella leads the league in blocks/set (1.41).
• Norfolk State is 2-5 overall after going 1-2 with a win over North Carolina Central and losses to Charleston Southern and Elon at the Phoenix Classic. The Spartans rank third in the MEAC in hitting percentage (.206). Melvina Brown ranks third in digs/set (4.00).
Series History with the Opponents
• Bucknell leads 29-7 in the series with Saint Francis, which began in 1984. The teams haven’t played since 2009.
• The Bison will play both Morehead State and Norfolk State for the first time in program history.
• Bucknell opens Patriot League play with home games against Army West Point (Sept. 22) and Colgate (Sept. 23).