Setting the Scene
Who: Bucknell (13-17, 4-4 Patriot League) at Penn State (11-19, 1-5 Big Ten)
When: Tuesday, Apr. 11 – 6:30 p.m.
Where: Medlar Field at Lubrano Park – University Park, Pa.
Live Results: GoPSUSports.com
Listen: BucknellBison.com – (Play-by-play: Doug Birdsong)
Who: Lafayette (3-31, 1-7 Patriot League) at Bucknell (13-17, 4-4 Patriot League)
When: Saturday-Sunday, Apr. 15-16 (12 p.m./2:30 p.m.)
Where: Depew Field – Lewisburg, Pa.
Live Results: BucknellBison.com
Listen: BucknellBison.com/WVBU 90.5 FM – (Play-by-play: Justin Antweil)
About the Bison/Last Time Out
* Bucknell will take on Penn State for the second time this season on Tuesday before returning to Lewisburg to play a four-game set against Lafayette.
* The Bison are coming off a four-game weekend against Army West Point, losing three of the four contests. The Black Knights swept the doubleheader Saturday, winning the opening game 7-4 and taking the nightcap by a 10-1 score.
* Bucknell rebounded with a 10-5 victory in the first game of the twinbill Sunday, thanks to an eight-run third inning. Jeff Gottesman earned the win on the mound.
* Army won the final game, defeating the Bison in extra innings, 16-14. Luke Johnson and Sam Clark each recorded home runs in the contest.
* Brett Smith hit a team-best .533 in the series, racking up eight hits and two RBIs while scoring seven runs. Clark contributed eight RBIs and four runs off six hits.
* This season, Danny Rafferty is batting a team-high .333 and leads the squad in hits (35), doubles (10), walks (21) and RBIs (21). He has 11 multi-hit games this in 2017.
* Six Bison have recorded at least 25 hits this season, including Rafferty (35), Smith (34), Clark (29), Keifer Rawlings (28), Johnson (27) and JohnPaul Bell (25).
* Matt Shobe has the team’s lowest ERA of 2.70. Connor Van Hoose has an ERA of 2.87 and leads the pitching staff in wins (3) and strikeouts (62). His 62 strikeouts are tied for the most in the league.
Scouting Penn State
* Penn State will host the Bison following its game against Binghamton Monday. The Nittany Lions are 11-19 overall, owning a 5-4 record at home.
* The Nittany Lions have one win in their last seven contests, losing games to Michigan, Pittsburgh, and Ohio State.
* Penn State has two batters hitting over .300 – Mason Nadeau (.348) and Jordan Bowersox (.339). However, as a team, it ranks last in the Big Ten with a .229 batting average.
* Pitcher Sal Biasi is second in the conference with 56 strikeouts in 39.0 innings pitched.
* Bucknell is 34-120 all-time against Penn State.
* The two teams met earlier in March with Penn State winning 4-3 in 10 innings. Mike Castellani went five innings while allowing one run, while Rawlings led the Bison with two hits and two runs scored.
* Lafayette enters with a 3-31 record and is 1-7 in Patriot League action.
* The Leopards are 0-19 on the road and are 1-27 in their last 28 road games dating back to last year.
* Lafayette brings a 7.92 ERA into the weekend, allowing 9.0 runs per game.
* Dan Leckie is batting .294 and leads the team in hits (21), RBIs (15) and home runs (5).
* The Leopards will make the trip to Lewisburg after hosting a mid-week contest against Rutgers on Tuesday.
* Lafayette leads the all-time series 114-68.
* The two teams split a four-game series last year in Easton.
Bison Fun Zone
* The Bison Fun Zone will be returning to Bucknell’s West Fields for a third consecutive year on Saturday, Apr. 15. The Bison Fun Zone will feature inflatables, free pizza (while supplies last) and face painting.
* Bucknell will wrap up its home schedule with a doubleheader against St. Bonaventure Tuesday, April 18, beginning at 2 p.m.