LEWISBURG, Pa. -- The 57th Annual Bucknell Athletics Senior Recognition Banquet was held on Monday evening at Sojka Pavilion. The outstanding careers of 169 senior athletes were honored at the dinner, and distance runner Christine Bendzinski (Hebron, Conn./RHAM) and basketball standout Nana Foulland (Reading, Pa./Berks Catholic) received the presigious Christy Mathewson Award, which goes to the most-outstanding male and female senior athletes.
A total of 11 awards are presented each year. They honor a wide range of accomplishments, from on-field success, to academics, community service, commitment to diversity, and other contributions to the department and to the University. This year, six of the awards were revealed last week, and five were presented at a revamped banquet on Monday night, emceed by students Trey Johnson and Kat Sokirka. In addition, a vote was conducted for the 2017-18 "Play of the Year", and the winner was Kimbal Mackenzie's buzzer-beater that lifted the Bison men's basketball team to a thrilling comeback victory over Colgate.
Here are all of this year's award-winners, along with the video presentations for each:
- ECAC Appreciation Award: Galen & Diane Reichley and Allen Reichley
- Robert A. Latour Service Award: Eve Lukowski (lacrosse), Mark Pyles (football)
- Margaret L. Bryan-Albert E. Humphreys Award: Julianna Foss (swimming & diving), Nicholas Lombardo (track & field).
- 'Ray Bucknell Diversity Award: Kafilat Oladiran (track & field), Trey Johnson (football)
- Edward W. Pangburn Award: Celina Antonellis (softball), Stephen Brown (basketball).
- Lee S. “Bud” Ranck Memorial Award: Jackie Ham (soccer), Tyler Smith (wrestling).
- Ronald J. “Pete” Pedrick Award: Lauren Hudson (track & field), Sean O'Brien (lacrosse), Connor Van Hoose (baseball).
- Bradley N. Tufts Award: Lisa Jouravleva (tennis), Abdullah Anderson (football).
- John F. Zeller Award: Meghan Kovac (softball), Will Sands (lacrosse).
- Bison Club Award: Meghan Holtz (soccer), Chris Devlin (swimming & diving).
- Alvin F. Jackson Jr. Memorial Scholar-Athlete Award: Kendall Ham (soccer), Zach Thomas (basketball).
- Christy Mathewson Award: Christine Bendzinski (cross country/track & field), Nana Foulland (basketball).
ALVIN F. JACKSON JR MEMORIAL SCHOLAR-ATHLETE AWARD: Presented for outstanding academic and athletic achievement and future promise as Bucknell alumni.
2018 RECIPIENTS: Kendall Ham (soccer), Zach Thomas (basketball)
JOHN F. ZELLER AWARD: Presented to the senior student-athlete for outstanding contributions to Bison Athletics, while exemplifying the best of Bucknell in the manner that John Zeller did in his 68 years of service to the University.
2018 RECIPIENTS: Meghan Kovac (softball), Will Sands (lacrosse)
BRYAN-HUMPHREYS AWARD: Presented to a student-athlete who has exhibited exceptional versatility within his/her sport, displaying outstanding achievement and the selfless determination to help the team succeed by contributing in a variety of ways.
2018 RECIPIENTS: Julianna Foss (Swimming & Diving) and Nicholas Lombardo (Track & Field)
'RAY BUCKNELL DIVERSITY AWARD: Presented to the senior student-athlete who through his/her actions has worked to eliminate attitudes and actions that have separated, excluded or marginalized people in the past and has facilitated true understanding and recognition among multiple campus and Lewisburg constituencies.
2018 RECIPIENTS: Kafilat Oladiran (Track & Field) and Trey Johnson (Football)
RONALD J. "PETE" PEDRICK AWARD: Presented in recognition of demonstrated improvement and special contributions to Bucknell athletics over a four-year period.
2018 RECIPIENTS: Lauren Hudson (Track & Field), Sean O'Brien (Lacrosse), Connor Van Hoose (Baseball)