LEWISBURG, Pa. – The Bucknell men's lacrosse team will face off against Richmond for the first time in program history on Saturday, Feb. 17 at 12 p.m.
The Bison are looking to open their season with three-straight victories for the third time in Frank Fedorjaka's tenure as head coach. Previously, they raced out to 3-0 starts in 2007 (5-0) and 2016 (3-0); they ultimately reached the double digits in wins during both of those campaigns, finishing 11-4 and 10-5 respectively.
Bucknell (2-0, 0-0 Patriot League) vs. Richmond (0-1, 0-0 Southern Conference)
When: Saturday, Feb. 17 – 12 p.m.
Where: Robins Stadium – Richmond, Va.
Internet Video: SpiderTV
Live Stats: RichmondSpiders.com
Follow on Twitter: @Bucknell_MLAX
Bucknell at a Glance
• The Bison men's lacrosse team is celebrating its 50th anniversary in 2018. Established in 1968, the program has compiled a 362-346 all-time record with Sid Jamieson (1968-2005) and Frank Fedorjaka (2006-present) at the helm.
• Bucknell is 2-0 (0-0 Patriot League) on the season. The Bison, who received votes in the most recent Inside Lacrosse poll, are looking to race out to a 3-0 start for the third time under Fedorjaka.
• In 2017, Bucknell went 5-8 (3-5 Patriot League), coming up a single game short of qualifying for its 11th-straight Patriot League Tournament.
• The Bison, who finished tied for seventh in the Patriot League a year ago, were picked to place fourth in the 2018 preseason poll, as voted on by the league’s coaches and sports information directors.
• Bucknell returns four All-Patriot League selections in Matt Gilray (2nd '17, '16), Christian Klipstein (2nd '17, '16), Sean O'Brien (1st '17) and Will Sands (1st '17, 2nd '16). All four were voted to the 2018 Preseason All-Patriot League team, giving the Bison the league-high total.
• Fedorjaka, who is in his 13th season as head coach, owns a 113-70 record. In Patriot League action, he has gone 50-30, leading the Bison to perfect 6-0 records in 2009 and 2011.
Inside the Bryant Box Score
• Bucknell outlasted defending NEC champion Bryant, 14-12, on Feb. 10 at the Bryant Track & Turf Complex. A 4-0 Bison run that began at the 10:06 mark of the third quarter proved to be the difference in the game, as the Bulldogs would not be able to draw back within one the rest of the way.
• For the second contest in a row, Will Sands posted eight points, this time on three goals and five assists. He recorded at least one point in every quarter and set up three of Connor O'Hara's game-high four goals.
• Sean O'Brien (3g) and Tommy Sopko (2g-1a) also had multi-point outings while Matt Fedorjaka netted his first collegiate goal.
• Defensively, Benny Borgognone had a strong performance, leading both teams with three caused turnovers. Jarett Witzal collected a team-best five ground balls while Ben Clark looked strong in net, making eight saves on 15 shots after entering the game early in the second quarter.
• On the strength of his eight-point outing, Sands captured his second-straight Patriot League Offensive Player of the Week award.
• Sands was also honored on the United States Intercollegiate Lacrosse Association DI Team of the Week. He was the second Bison to earn a spot on this team in 2018, joining Clark.
Richmond at a Glance
• Richmond is currently 0-1 (0-0 Southern Conference). The Spiders fell at UMBC, 9-6, in their season opener on Feb. 10.
• Richmond was selected to finish second behind defending champion Air Force in the Southern Conference preseason poll. Attacker Teddy Hatfield and long-stick midfielder Austin Cates were named to the Preseason All-Southern Conference Team.
• The Spiders were ranked No. 20 in Inside Lacrosse’s preseason poll. While they are no longer ranked, they received votes in the most recent Inside Lacrosse poll.
• Last season, Richmond finished 12-4 (6-1 Southern Conference), setting a program record in victories and securing its highest national ranking (No. 11).
• The Spiders return six of their top eight scorers from their record-breaking campaign. They also welcome back three-time All-Southern Conference honoree Mitch Goldberg, who took a redshirt year in 2017.
• Last season, Richmond held all of its opponents under 10 goals. The Spiders’ 6.25 goals against average was the lowest in the nation.
• This will be the first meeting between Bucknell and Richmond. The Bison are 9-0 against current members of the Southern Conference, holding a 7-0 edge over Air Force and 1-0 marks over Jacksonville and VMI.
Bison in the NCAA Top 10 (as of Feb. 14)
• Will Sands: First in assists per game (5.50)
• Will Sands: Second in points per game (8.00), points (16) and assists (11)
• Connor O'Hara: Tied for third in goals (8)
• Connor O'Hara: Tied for seventh in goals per game (4.00)
• Benny Borgognone: Tied for eighth in caused turnovers (4)
Career Milestones Met at Bryant
• Sean O'Brien: Scored the 50th goal of his collegiate career
• Will Sands: Entered a tie for fifth in school history in points; now has 184
• Jarett Witzal: Moved into third in school history in face-off attempts; now has 566
Career Milestone Watch
• Matt Gilray: Needs nine ground balls to crack Bucknell’s top 10 with 138
• Will Sands: Needs three assists to become the fifth Bison to record 100 in his career
• Will Sands: Needs five goals to enter Bucknell’s top 10 with 92
• Will Sands: Needs 10 points to move from fifth to fourth (194) in school history; needs 12 to enter a tie for third (196)
• Will Sands: Needs 16 points to become the third Bison to record 200 in his career
• Jarett Witzal: Needs four ground balls to crack Bucknell’s top 10 with 138
• Jarett Witzal: Needs 56 face-off attempts to move from third to second (622) in school history
• Jarett Witzal: Needs 100 face-off wins to claim the school record from Jake Clarke (422)
A Look Ahead
• The Bison travel to Colgate for their first Patriot League contest on Saturday, Feb. 24. The opening face-off is set for 1 p.m.