LEWISBURG, Pa. – The Bucknell men's lacrosse team begins Patriot League action on Saturday, Feb. 24 with a 1 p.m. contest at Colgate.
The Raiders will be the Bison's first ranked opponent of their 50th anniversary season. Off to a 3-0 start for the third time in the past six campaigns, Colgate entered the USILA Coaches' Poll and Inside Lacrosse Maverik Media Listing this week, sitting at 18th and 20th respectively.
Bucknell (2-1, 0-0 Patriot League) vs. No. 18/20 Colgate (3-0, 0-0 Patriot League)
When: Saturday, Feb. 24 – 1 p.m.
Where: Crown Field Andy Kerr Stadium – Hamilton, N.Y.
Internet Video: Patriot League Network
Live Stats: GoColgateRaiders.com
Follow on Twitter: @Bucknell_MLAX
Bucknell at a Glance
• The Bison men's lacrosse team is celebrating its 50th anniversary in 2018. Established in 1968, the program has compiled a 362-347 all-time record with Sid Jamieson (1968-2005) and Frank Fedorjaka (2006-present) at the helm.
• Bucknell is 2-1 (0-0 Patriot League) on the season. The Bison are set to end a three-game road swing against the Raiders.
• In 2017, Bucknell went 5-8 (3-5 Patriot League), coming up a single game short of qualifying for its 11th-straight Patriot League Tournament.
• The Bison, who finished tied for seventh in the Patriot League a year ago, were picked to place fourth in the 2018 preseason poll, as voted on by the league’s coaches and sports information directors.
• Bucknell returns four All-Patriot League selections in Matt Gilray (2nd '17, '16), Christian Klipstein (2nd '17, '16), Sean O'Brien (1st '17) and Will Sands (1st '17, 2nd '16). All four were voted to the 2018 Preseason All-Patriot League team, giving the Bison the league-high total.
• Bucknell's captains are seniors Sands, Gilray, O'Brien and Benny Borgognone.
• Fedorjaka, who is in his 13th season as head coach, owns a 113-71 record. In Patriot League action, he has gone 50-30, leading the Bison to perfect 6-0 records in 2009 and 2011.
Inside the Richmond Box Score
• Mitch Goldberg found the back of the net with 31 seconds remaining in regulation to lift Richmond to a 9-8 victory over Bucknell in a back-and-forth first meeting on Feb. 17.
• After the Bison used a 3-0 run to turn a 6-4 deficit into a 7-6 advantage in the third quarter, the Spiders responded with two unanswered goals to regain their edge. With 5:27 left to play, Sean O'Brien took a feed from Will Sands and found the back of the net, setting up a frenetic final five minutes of action that saw Blake Goodman deny O'Brien and Sands bids and Connor O'Hara ring a shot off the post.
• Both goalies reached the double digits in saves. Goodman ultimately outdueled Christian Klipstein, finishing with 17 saves to the Bison junior's 13.
• Sands (2g-2a), O'Brien (3g) and Reed Malas (1g-1a) had multi-point outings.
• Sands reached the 20-point threshold in Bucknell's third game; the senior now boasts 20 points on seven goals and 13 assists. The second-place Bison, O'Hara, owns nine points on nine goals.
• Matt Gilray registered a team-best four ground balls while four other Bison collected at least three. Jarett Witzal went 12 for 20 on his face-off attempts during the contest, taking every single one for Bucknell for the second time in 2018.
Colgate at a Glance
• Off to a 3-0 start for the third time in the past six seasons, the Raiders entered the USILA Coaches' Poll and Inside Lacrosse Maverik Media Listing this week, sitting at 18th and 20th respectively.
• In the Patriot League preseason poll, Colgate was selected to finish seventh.
• The Raiders posted a 5-9 (3-5 Patriot League) record in 2017. They finished tied for seventh with the Bison in the Patriot League standings.
• In its most recent game on Feb. 17, Colgate snapped a 12-game losing slide to Cornell with a 14-11 victory. The Raiders, who hadn't topped the Big Red in Hamilton since 1964, was led by Griffin Brown, who netted a career-best six goals.
• For their performance against Cornell, Brown (Offensive Player of the Week) and Collin Orr (Faceoff Specialist of the Week) garnered Patriot League weekly laurels.
• Colgate returned its top five scorers from a year ago, led by Brown, the 2017 Patriot League Rookie of the Year.
The Bucknell/Colgate Series
• While Bucknell leads the all-time series, 21-18, Colgate has won the past six meetings.
• With a win on Saturday, the Raiders will tie the Bison's longest win streak in the series, which dates back to 1979. From 1999 to 2005, Bucknell rattled off seven-straight victories over Colgate.
• The Raiders downed the Bison, 15-10, in their 2017 contest at Christy Mathewson-Memorial Stadium. Colgate opened up a 14-6 advantage with a 9-1 run that began in the second quarter and never looked back.
• Goals: Connor O'Hara (9)
• Assists: Will Sands (13)
• Points: Will Sands (20)
• Shots: Sean O'Brien (33)
• Ground balls: Matt Gilray (12)
• Caused turnovers: Benny Borgognone (5)
• Face-off wins: Jarett Witzal (33)
• Face-off percentage: Jarett Witzal (.458)
• Save Percentage: Ben Clark (.571)
• Goals Against Average: Ben Clark (6.50)
• Saves: Christian Klipstein (17)
Career Milestone Watch
• Matt Gilray: Needs five ground balls to crack Bucknell’s top 10 with 138
• Christian Klipstein: Needs 60 saves to crack Bucknell’s top 10 with 375
• Will Sands: Needs one assist to become the fifth Bison to record 100 in his career
• Will Sands: Needs three goals to enter Bucknell’s top 10 with 92
• Will Sands: Needs six points to move from fifth to fourth (194) in school history; needs eight to enter a tie for third (196)
• Will Sands: Needs 12 points to become the third Bison to record 200 in his career
• Will Sands: Needs 40 shots to crack Bucknell’s top five with 279
• Jarett Witzal: Needs one ground ball to crack Bucknell’s top 10 with 138
• Jarett Witzal: Needs 36 face-off attempts to move from third to second (622) in school history
• Jarett Witzal: Needs 88 face-off wins to claim the school record from Jake Clarke (422)
A Look Ahead
• The Bison return to Christy Mathewson-Memorial Stadium to face Navy on Saturday, March 3 at 1 p.m.