LEWISBURG, Pa. – The Bucknell men's lacrosse team returns to the road to face off against Holy Cross on Saturday, March 10 at 1 p.m.
The Bison, who fell out of the United States Intercollegiate Lacrosse Association (USILA) Coaches' Poll following a 13-8 loss to Navy on March 3, will look to get back into the win column against the one-win Crusaders.
Bucknell (3-2, 1-1 Patriot League) vs. Holy Cross (1-4, 0-2 Patriot League)
When: Saturday, March 10 – 1 p.m.
Where: Kuzniewski Field – Worcester, Mass.
Internet Video: Patriot League Network
Live Stats: GoHolyCross.com
Follow on Twitter: @Bucknell_MLAX
Bucknell at a Glance
• The Bison men's lacrosse team is celebrating its 50th anniversary in 2018. Established in 1968, the program has compiled a 363-348 all-time record with Sid Jamieson (1968-2005) and Frank Fedorjaka (2006-present) at the helm.
• Bucknell is 3-2 (1-1 Patriot League) on the season. The Bison received votes in this week's USILA Coaches' Poll, falling out of the No. 20 spot.
• In 2017, Bucknell went 5-8 (3-5 Patriot League), coming up a single game short of qualifying for its 11th-straight Patriot League Tournament.
• The Bison, who finished tied for seventh in the Patriot League a year ago, were picked to place fourth in the 2018 preseason poll, as voted on by the league’s coaches and sports information directors.
• Bucknell returns four All-Patriot League selections in Matt Gilray (2nd '17, '16), Christian Klipstein (2nd '17, '16), Sean O'Brien (1st '17) and Will Sands (1st '17, 2nd '16). All four were voted to the 2018 Preseason All-Patriot League team, giving the Bison the league-high total.
• Sands was named to the 2018 Tewaaraton Watch List on March 1. The senior, who was previously recognized on the 2017 list, was one of 50 men's lacrosse players to make this year's iteration.
• Bucknell's captains are seniors Sands, Gilray, O'Brien and Benny Borgognone.
• Fedorjaka, who is in his 13th season as head coach, owns a 114-72 record. In Patriot League action, he has gone 51-31, leading the Bison to perfect 6-0 records in 2009 and 2011.
Inside the Navy Box Score
• Navy used a strong second half to down then No. 20/- Bucknell, 13-8, on March 3 at Christy Mathewson-Memorial Stadium.
• The Midshipmen outscored the Bison by a 9-3 margin in the second half to erase a 5-4 halftime deficit and remain unbeaten in Patriot League action at 2-0. The third quarter was the difference in the game as Navy netted six goals to Bucknell's two.
• Sean O'Brien scored five goals during the contest, finishing one shy of his career high set in 2017 against Delaware. He completed his hat trick in the first quarter, finding the back of the net at the 8:12, 5:33 and 2:45 marks. With 5:28 on the clock in the second quarter, he netted his most impressive goal of the contest, finishing off a Will Sands feed with a no-look, behind-the-back shot that later appeared on SportsCenter's Top 10 Plays at No. 7.
• Bryant Boswell paced the Bison with four ground balls, a career high, while also tying Lukas Munoz and Hunter Newman for the team lead with one caused turnover.
• Notably, Navy held Sands, who entered the game fourth in the NCAA in points per game (6.75), to a single assist. For his role in holding Sands in check, Michael Strack was later honored as the Patriot League Defensive Player of the Week.
• The Midshipmen outshot the Bison, 37-25, bolstered by a 22-12 second half. They also held a 34-17 advantage in ground balls and won 15 of 25 faceoffs, including 10 of 14 in the second half.
Holy Cross at a Glance
• Holy Cross is currently 1-4 (0-2 Patriot League). The Crusaders dropped a 13-5 decision to then No. 9/9 Loyola in their most recent game on March 4.
• In the 2018 Patriot League preseason poll, Holy Cross was selected to place eighth.
• The Crusaders posted a 5-10 (4-4 Patriot League) record in 2017, finishing fifth in the Patriot League. In the Patriot League quarterfinals, they dispatched Navy, 11-7, to earn their first ever Patriot League tournament victory; their Cinderella run ended with a 13-3 loss at top-seeded Loyola in the semifinals.
• Holy Cross has been outscored a combined 61-28 in 2018, including by a 28-9 margin in Patriot League play.
• The Crusaders' lone win came at Harvard in double overtime on Feb. 20; Justin Lynskey completed a hat trick 48 seconds into the bonus frame to lift them to their first victory over the Crimson in program history.
The Bucknell/Holy Cross Series
• Bucknell leads the all-time series with Holy Cross, 27-1.
• The Crusaders defeated the Bison for the first time last year at Christy Mathewson-Memorial Stadium.
• Holy Cross scored the game's final four goals to walk away a 10-8 victor. The Crusaders, who two weeks earlier earned their first victory over Lehigh in their 28th meeting, were led by Marc Buermann, who registered five points (3g-2a).
Will Sands Closes in on 200-Point Threshold
• Will Sands enters Saturday's game needing just four points to become the third Bison to record 200 over the course of his career.
• Sands, who is averaging 5.60 points per game in 2018, will join elite company in Chris Cara (2002-05, 249 points) and Pete von Hoffmann (1976-79, 220 points). Both are members of the Bucknell Athletics Hall of Fame.
• Goals: Sean O'Brien (15)
• Assists: Will Sands (18)
• Points: Will Sands (28)
• Shots: Sean O'Brien (53)
• Ground balls: Matt Gilray (17)
• Caused turnovers: Benny Borgognone (5)
• Face-off wins: Jarett Witzal (55)
• Face-off percentage: Jarett Witzal (.458)
• Save Percentage: Ben Clark (.586)
• Goals Against Average: Ben Clark (7.61)
• Saves: Christian Klipstein (33)
Career Milestones Met against Navy
• Will Sands: Moved into third in school history in points (196)
• Jarett Witzal: Took second in school history in face-off attempts (634)
• Jarett Witzal: Moved into ninth in school history in ground balls (141)
Career Milestone Watch
• Matt Gilray: Needs one ground ball to crack Bucknell’s top 10 with 139
• Christian Klipstein: Needs 44 saves to crack Bucknell’s top 10 with 375
• Sean O'Brien: Needs 57 shots to crack Bucknell’s top five with 279
• Will Sands: Needs two goals to move to ninth with 94; needs five to move to eighth with 97
• Will Sands: Needs four points to become the third Bison to record 200 in his career
• Will Sands: Needs 13 assists to move to fourth with 117
• Will Sands: Needs 29 shots to crack Bucknell’s top five with 279
• Jarett Witzal: Needs three ground balls to move to eighth (144); needs five to move to seventh (146)
• Jarett Witzal: Needs 66 face-off wins to claim the school record from Jake Clarke (422)
• Jarett Witzal: Needs 116 face-off attempts to claim the school record from Jake Clarke (750)
A Look Ahead
• The Bison return to Christy Mathewson-Memorial Stadium for a 1 p.m. game against Boston University on Saturday, March 17.