Setting the Scene
When: Saturday, Sept. 16, 4 p.m.
What: Bucknell (2-2-0, 0-0-0 PL) at Robert Morris (0-6-0, 0-0-0 NEC)
Where: North Athletic Complex, Moon Township, Pa.
Watch Live: NEC Front Row
Live Stats: RMUColonials.com
About the Bison
• Bucknell looks to build off of last week's strong performance in a 2-0 home win over Duquesne when it heads out to the Pittsburgh area to face Robert Morris on Saturday afternoon. The Bison come in with a 2-2 mark in 2017. They have outscored their opponents 3-0 in the two victories and have been outscored 4-0 in the two losses.
• Last Saturday at Emmitt Field, the Bison turned in a complete performance, getting two first-half goals from senior Ben Derleth and freshman Matt Thorsheim while limiting the Dukes to six total shots. Duquesne came into the contest with eight goals in its previous three games, but Bucknell bottled them up in this one.
• The Bison received major production from all three seniors in the Duquesne win. Derleth's first goal of the season opened the scoring in the 24th minute. Dan Bank, making his first start of the year at right back, assisted on both goals and contributed to the defensive effort. Jack Zollicoffer played the full 90 minutes and did well patroling the center of the field.
• Thorsheim's goal was the first of his young career.
• With the exception of a lapse early in the second half on the road at Stetson, Bucknell has been stout defensively thus far. The Bison have yielded only four goals in four games, three of them coming in that game in Florida. Goalkeeper Ryan Ott has am .826 save percentage and 1.05 goals-against average. He leads the Patriot League with 4.75 saves per game.
• Brendan Nash is in his 19th season as Bucknell's head coach and his 22nd as a member of the Bison coaching staff. His predecessor, Craig Reynolds, patrolled the sideline for 32 years, meaning Bucknell has had only two men's soccer head coaches over the last 50 years. Nash's 169 wins are second all-time to Reynolds' 238, but Nash's .534 winning percentage is No. 1 in program history. He has guided the Bison to four Patriot League titles in the last 11 years.
Scouting Robert Morris/Series History
• The Colonials are still searching for their first win of the 2017 season. They come in with an 0-6 record, even though they have scored at least one goal in every game. Robert Morris has dropped a pair of high-scoring overtime games, 4-3 at Canisius after leading 3-0 and 3-2 to St. Bonaventure after leading 2-0. All told it has been outscored 16-9 in six games.
• Bayley Winkel already has five goals and an assist for 11 points for the Colonials, while Keane McIvor has five assists. Winkel ranks eighth nationally in goals, while McIvor ranks fourth in the country in assists. Jake Cooper, Christian Coridon, Corey McCurdy and Zac Sherman each have one goal.
• Winter Fondi has handled all of the goalkeeping duties for Robert Morris. He has made 29 saves while allowing 16 goals.
• Bucknell is 4-1-0 all-time against Robert Morris, but this will be the first meeting between the two teams since 2002, when the Bison won 3-2 in overtime on the road on a goal by then-freshman Scott Visnic. Bucknell has won two straight in the series since the Colonials lone win, which was a 1-0 verdict in Moon Township in 2000.
• Bucknell visits St. Peter's on Tuesday afternoon before opening up Patriot League play at Lafayette on Saturday, Sept. 23.