Setting the Scene, Part 1
When: Tuesday, Sept. 18, 4 p.m.
What: Bucknell (2-2-1, 0-0-0 PL) at Saint Peter's (1-3-1, 0-0-0 MAAC)
Where: Joseph J, Jaroschak Field, Jersey City, N.J.
Watch Live: YouTube
Live Stats: SaintPetersPeacocks.com
Setting the Scene, Part 2
When: Saturday, Sept. 23, 1 p.m.
What: Bucknell (2-2-1, 0-0-0 PL) at Lafayette (0-6-0, 0-0-0 PL)
Where: Oaks Stadium, Easton, Pa.
Watch Live: Patriot League Network
Live Stats: GoLeopards.com
About the Bison
• Bucknell began a four-game road stretch with a 1-1 draw at Robert Morris on Saturday, keeping its 2017 record level at 2-2-1. The Bison visit Saint Peter's on Tuesday before kicking off Patriot League play at Lafayette on Saturday. Bucknell wraps up the trip with another non-conference match at Fairleigh Dickinson next Wednesday before returning home again to face PL rival American on Sept. 30.
• Despite plenty of scoring chances, Bucknell needed an 85th-minute goal from Nick King to salvage the point at Robert Morris. The Bison peppered the Colonials net for 21 total shots, 11 on frame. Winter Fondi made nine saves, five coming in overtime, including a terrific diving save on Stefan Krystman. A goal on the rebound was waved off for offsides. Robert Morris also cleared a ball off the line late in regulation when it was still a 1-0 game.
• Matt Thorsheim picked up the assist when his low cross was knocked in by King. Thorsheim, a freshman who has started all five games thus far, was honored with Patriot League Rookie of the Week honors on Monday.
• Bucknell has scored four goals through five games but has allowed only five. With the exception of a lapse early in the second half on the road at Stetson, Bucknell has been stout defensively thus far. Three of Bucknell's five goals against came in that game in Florida. Goalkeeper Ryan Ott has an .833 save percentage and 0.99 goals-against average. He leads the Patriot League in save percentage and saves per game (5.0) while ranking No. 2 in goals-against average.
• Brendan Nash is in his 19th season as Bucknell's head coach and his 22nd as a member of the Bison coaching staff. His predecessor, Craig Reynolds, patrolled the sideline for 32 years, meaning Bucknell has had only two men's soccer head coaches over the last 50 years. Nash's 169 wins are second all-time to Reynolds' 238, but Nash's .533 winning percentage is No. 1 in program history. He has guided the Bison to four Patriot League titles in the last 11 years.
Scouting Saint Peter's/Series History
• Julian Richens's team started the year strong with a 1-1 tie at Seton Hall and a 1-0 win at Hartwick. The Peacocks have dropped three straight since then, however, 3-2 at home to St. Francis (N.Y.), 2-1 at Sacred Heart and 2-0 at La Salle.
• Freshman Jordan Jowers scored in each of the team's first three games and leads the Peacocks with three goals on the season. Gabrielle Bendelli and Chris Rodrigues have the team's other two goals.
• Goalkeeper Robbie Anderson has collected 24 saves with eight goals against thus far.
• Bucknell is 10-2-1 all-time against Saint Peter's, with all 13 previous meetings coming between 1994-2009. The Bison have won two straight in the series, including a 5-1 rout in the most recent clash in 2009 at Emmitt Field. Conor O'Brien and Brendan Burgdorf scored two goals apiece for Bucknell in that one. The Peacocks' most recent series win was a 2-1 verdict in 2007, which was the last time the two teams met in Jersey City.
Scouting Lafayette/Series History
• Lafayette is 0-6 on the season and will host Albany on Wednesday prior to facing the Bison over the weekend. Most recently, the Leopards fell 2-1 at La Salle this past Saturday.
• Lafayette has pushed across a goal in four of its six contests and has been outscored 15-4 on the season. Evan Vare has a pair of goals, and Christian Moyse and Chris Gomez have one each.
• The Bison and Leopards first met in 1931, and the two teams have played a very close series ever since. Lafayette holds a thin 31-30-7 edge in 68 previous meetings. Lafayette has won each of the last two head-to-head matchups, both by 1-0 scores. Prior to that, Bucknell won two in a row by 3-0 and 2-0 counts. Lafayette is Bucknell's second-most-played opponent, trailing only Penn State (72).
• Next week Bucknell travels to Fairleigh Dickinson on Wednesday before hosting American on Saturday.