Setting The Scene
What: Bison Invitational
When: Friday, Sept. 15 to Sunday, Sept. 17
Where: Kinney Natatorium – Lewisburg, Pa.
Tournament Central: BucknellBison.com
Tournament Schedule: BucknellBison.com
Teams in Attendance: Gannon, No. 17 George Washington, No. 11 Harvard, Johns Hopkins, La Salle, Mercyhurst, Salem International, Toronto, Wagner
Bucknell Game Schedule
Game One: La Salle (0-4) vs. No. 18 Bucknell (1-6)
When: Saturday, Sept. 16 – 11:45 a.m.
Video: Patriot League Network
Game Two: Mercyhurst (1-1) vs. No. 18 Bucknell (1-6)
When: Saturday, Sept. 16 – 4:45 p.m.
Video: Patriot League Network
Game Three: Salem International (2-3) vs. No. 18 Bucknell (1-6)
When: Sunday, Sept. 17 – 1 p.m.
No. 18 Bucknell at a Glance
• The Bison are celebrating their 40th season of competition. They are set to welcome alumni back to campus as part of their 40th anniversary celebration this weekend.
• Bucknell moved from 16th to 18th in the CWPA Poll after posting a 0-3 record at the Princeton Invitational on Sept. 9-10.
• The Bison squared off against three more ranked teams at the Princeton Invitational in then No. 4 UCLA (8-18), then No. 18 St. Francis Brooklyn (6-7) and then No. 10 Harvard (9-10).
• The Crimson edged Bucknell on an Austin Sehcrest goal scored in the final minute of regulation while the Terriers held off a furious Bison flurry to preserve their win. In the St. Francis game, after Marko Djordjevic found the back of the cage with 12 seconds left on the clock, Viktor Klauzer blocked two Rade Joksimovic shots in the dying seconds to prevent Bucknell from netting the equalizer.
• To date, Joksimovic (12g-7a), Cooper Dolan (14g-2a), and Djordjevic (6g-9a) are the team leaders in points. Dolan boasts a team-best .778 shooting percentage while Joksimovic is tied with Tommy Stupp for the team lead in steals (7).
• Logan Schofield has drawn a team-best nine exclusions while Charlie Niehaus has made 20 saves.
• Joksimovic recorded the 200th career point in Bucknell's game against No. 4 UCLA. The sophomore entered the 2017 campaign with 184 points (154g-30a). His performance as a freshman slotted him fourth in program history in single-season points and tied for second in single-season goals.
Bucknell Plays Seven-Straight Against Ranked Teams
• The Bison played their first seven games of the 2017 campaign against ranked opponents, four of which were slotted in the top 10 at the time of their meeting in UCLA (then No. 4) Pacific (then No. 5), Pepperdine (then No. 7) and Harvard (then No. 10).
• Since 2001, the Bison have only faced at least five ranked opponents in a row two other times. Most recently, in 2011, they squared off against then No. 17 Navy (8-10), then No. 3 Stanford (1-15), then No. 12 U.C. Davis (11-12), then No. 15 Santa Clara (6-13) and then No. 6 Pepperdine (7-16) from Oct. 16-23.
• During the 2007 campaign, they took on then No. 18 Princeton (4-5), then No. 13 Navy (5-10), then No. 11 St. Francis Brooklyn (9-12), then No. 5 Pepperdine (8-10) and then No. 14 Pacific (9-11) from Oct. 6-13. After their game against the Tigers, they took on two teams ranked in the Division III's top three in then No. 1 Redlands (8-10) and then No. 3 Ponoma-Pitzer (11-6).
La Salle at a Glance
• La Salle will be the first unranked team Bucknell will face in 2017.
• The Explorers, which went 3-12 (2-5 MAWPC) during their inaugural season in 2016, enter the Bison Invitational 0-4. All of their losses came by at least seven goals. Their closest game was against the only ranked opponent they have faced to date in No. 11 Princeton (8-15).
• La Salle will also face Salem International, Johns Hopkins and Gannon at the Bison Invitational.
The Bison vs. the Explorers
• The La Salle club program was elevated to the varsity level in 2016-17.
• This will be the second meeting between Bucknell and La Salle. In 1976, the Bucknell downed La Salle, 15-7.
Mercyhurst at a Glance
• The Lakers are currently 1-1. They fell to Salem International (6-13) and topped Penn State Behrend (10-5). A year ago, they finished one game over .500 at 14-13 but posted a 5-2 mark in MAWPC play.
• Merychurst returns its top two scorers from a year ago in Philip Jenny (37g-14a) and Connor Schmitz (44g-6a). They were the only Lakers who eclipsed 50 points in 2016.
• The Lakers will also take on Wagner, No. 17 George Washington and Toronto at the Bison Invitational.
The Bison vs. the Lakers
• Bucknell leads the all-time series, 13-1. The Bison have won their past five games against the Lakers.
• Bucknell and Mercyhurst have met at least once every year since 2006.
• At last year's Bison Invitational, the Bison dropped the Lakers, 14-7, in their third game of the tournament. Rade Joksimovic (5), Jeff Hagen (3) and Logan Schofield (2) had multi-goal outings in that game.
Salem International at a Glance
• The Tigers are currently 2-3 on the season. A year ago, they went 8-15 (4-2 MWPC).
• Salem International returns its top two scorers from 2016 in Djordje Stavrevski (82g-45a) and Milos Popovic (75g-45a).
• The Tigers will also take on No. 17 George Washington, No. 11 Harvard, La Salle and Wagner at the Bison Invitational.
The Bison vs. the Tigers
• Bucknell leads the all-time series, 20-3. The Bison have won their past seven games against the Tigers.
• At last year's Bison Invitational, the Bison dismantled the Tigers, 24-8, in their first game of the tournament. Rade Joksimovic scored eight goals, dished out six assists, totaled eight steals and drew three ejections. With that effort, he became the first Bison to score eight goals in a game since Brian Barron totaled eight in 2012. He also became the only Bucknell player since 2001 to post double-figures in points in a game.