LEWISBURG, Pa. -- Bucknell returns to the Patriot League Field Hockey Tournament for the ninth consecutive season when it faces top-seeded and 14th-ranked Boston University in a semifinal matchup on Friday afternoon at Boston’s New Balance Field. The fourth-seeded Bison advanced to the postseason after going 3-3 in league play during the regular season, posting wins over Lehigh, Colgate and Lafayette. This will be the third year in a row the Bison and Terriers meet in the league tournament. A year ago Boston topped Bucknell 3-2 in double overtime in a semifinal matchup in Boston. Two years ago, the Terriers beat the Bison 2-1 in the championship game in Lewisburg.
Setting the Scene
What: Bucknell (9-8. 3-3 PL) at No. 14 Boston University (12-5, 5-1 PL)
When: Friday, Nov. 4 (1 p.m.)
Where: New Balance Field (Boston, Mass.)
Live Stats: GoTerriers.com
Watch Live: Patriot League Network
About the Bison
• Bucknell is 9-8 overall and 3-3 in the Patriot League after closing out the season with a 3-0 win at Colgate.
• The Bison are in the Patriot League Tournament for the ninth consecutive season.
• Junior goalkeeper Emily Finn has recorded three consecutive shutouts in wins over Lafayette (3-0), Lock Haven (1-0, 2OT), and Colgate (3-0). With her league-leading six shutouts, Finn has moved into a tie for fourth on Bucknell’s single-season record book and a tie for ninth on the career list.
• Finn and the Bucknell defense haven’t allowed a goal in 237:10 of playing time. The last goal allowed by the Bison was by Columbia with two seconds remaining in the game on Oct. 16.
• The postseason officially begins Friday, but Bucknell has been playing to keep its season alive for weeks. Needing to win its final two games to get into the league tournament, the Bison came through under pressure with easy 3-0 wins over Lafayette and Colgate.
• The Bison had three players named to All-Patriot League Teams on Wednesday. Senior captains Amy Mucelli and Anna Wills were voted to the First Team, while freshman Brittany Willwerth landed a spot on the Second Team.
Bucknell Weekly Awards
• Offensive Player of the Week -- Brittany Willwerth (9/13)
• Defensive Player of the Week -- Stephanie Dressler (10/25)
• Goalkeeper of the Week -- Emily Finn 3 (9/13, 10/25, 11/1)
• Rookie of the Week -- Brittany Willwerth 3 (8/30, 9/6, 9/13, 10/18)
About Boston University
• The two-time defending-champion Terriers earned the top seed with a 2-1 win over American on the final day of the regular season. The Terriers and Eagles both finished with a 5-1 record in league play.
• Three of Boston’s five losses came to teams that were ranked third in the nation at the type of the game. The Terriers lost to Connecticut (5-1), Duke (2-1), and Syracuse (2-1). They added a non-conference loss to Harvard (1-0), while their lone conference loss came to Lafayette (2-1 SO).
• Amanda Cassera has nine goals and four assists for a team-high 22 points. Hester van der Laan is behind her with six goals and four assists for 16 points.
• The Terriers have out-scored their opponents 43-22 on the season.
• Bucknell and Boston University didn’t play for the first time until 2011, two years before the Terriers joined the Patriot League. Boston, ranked 19th in the nation at the time, won the inaugural meeting 5-0 in a neutral site game at Temple.
• Friday marks the ninth meeting between the teams. Boston University holds a 7-1 lead in the all-time series.
• Bucknell snapped a three-game series losing streak with a 5-2 win during the regular season in 2014. Current player Stephanie Dressler tallied an assist in the victory.
• The Terriers have won each of the past four meetings, including a 3-2 double overtime win in last year’s Patriot League semifinal, and a 2-1 victory this regular season.
• While Boston University has held an advantage in the series, the games have always been competitive. Four of the Bison’s last five losses to the Terriers have come by just one goal.
Bucknell History in the Patriot League Tournament
• Bucknell is 6-18 all-time in the Patriot League Tournament, which dates back to 1994. The Bison have advanced to the championship game six times, including three times with Cook at the helm.
• The Bison’s last tournament win was a 2-0 shutout over Colgate in the semifinal round in 2014.
• Bucknell is 0-3 against Boston University in Patriot League Tournament games. The Bison are 1-3 against American and 0-4 against Holy Cross, the two potential opponents if they win on Friday.
Patriot League Tournament Schedule
Nov. 4 — Semifinals
#4 Bucknell at #1 Boston University, 1 p.m.
#2 American vs. #3 Holy Cross, 4 p.m.
Nov. 6 — Championship — 1 p.m.