Setting the Scene
(Saturday, Sept. 2 – 1 p.m.)
What: Bucknell (1-1, 0-0 PL) at No. 5 Syracuse (3-0, 0-0 ACC)
Where: J.S. Coyne Stadium (Syracuse, N.Y.)
Live Stats: Cuse.com
About the Bison
* Bucknell is 1-1 after a loss to Monmouth on Friday in the season opener and then a convincing 3-1 win at Temple on Sunday.
* Senior Stephanie Dressler was an Honorable Mention in the Patriot League’s weekly awards after scoring the game-winning goal in the second half in the win over the Owls. She also had an assist against the Hawks.
* Juniors Mackenzie Haney and Lexi Quick added goals in the win over Monmouth. Each player scored for the first time in their careers.
* Bucknell’s five goals have been scored by five players. Freshman Leah Fogelsanger and junior M.C. Evans scored against Monmouth.
* Senior Emily Finn stopped three shots against Temple. She is 2-0 with nine saves against the Owls in her career.
* Bucknell will join Cornell’s efforts to raise money for the Make-A-Wish Foundation. For more information on the cause, go here. Those interested in donating can do so at the link at the top of this article.
* Syracuse is 3-0 and hasn’t allowed a goal with wins over Cal (2-0), Pacific (3-0), and UC Davis (3-0).
* The Orange are ranked fifth in the latest NFHCA Division I Coaches Poll.
* Carolin Hoffman leads Syracuse with three goals. Jennifer Bleakney is tops on the team with two assists.
* Starting goalkeeper Borg van der Velde has stopped the only three shots on goal she has faced through three matches.
Series History with Syracuse
* Syracuse leads 8-1 in a series that began in 1984.
* Bucknell’s win was a 2-1 overtime victory in 1987.
* The Orange won 4-3 last season. The Bison led 2-1 at the half. Nicole Rupnik had a pair of goals in the first half, and Stephanie Dressler scored in the second half.
* Cornell opens the season with a home game against Ohio University on Friday.
* The Big Red went 10-7 overall and 4-3 in the Ivy League last season.
* Senior Krysten Mayers led the team with 31 points on 12 goals and seven assists.
Series History with Cornell
* Bucknell leads 15-10-1 in a series that began in 1974.
* The teams haven’t met since 2012, when the Bison won 2-1.
* Head coach Jeremy Cook is 4-1 against Cornell.
* Bucknell will play three home games in five days when it hosts Columbia (Sept. 8), LIU Brooklyn (Sept. 10), and No, 7 Penn State (Sept. 12).