Bucknell Baseball Opens Home Campaign this Weekend vs. Longwood
March 25, 2011
LEWISBURG, Pa. – After 18 games away from home to start the season, the Bucknell baseball team will set foot on Depew Field for the first time this weekend when it hosts Longwood in a four-game series. The two teams will square off in doubleheaders both Saturday and Sunday with first pitch each day at noon. The first game of each doubleheader will be seven innings, while game two will be nine innings, mirroring a typical Patriot League weekend.
Live statistics from each of the four games will be available via GameTracker.
Bucknell Baseball Notebook (8-10, 0-0 PL)
• Drew Constable and Scott Reed enter the weekend tied for the team lead with four-game hitting streaks. The team’s leading hitter, junior Gerry Runyan, recently had an eight-game hitting streak snapped.
• Senior first baseman Doug Shribman, already the program’s career home run leader, enters the weekend with 122 career RBIs, placing him fifth in program history. He is just six behind fourth-place Roger Ahrens.
• Bucknell has a 2.66 team ERA since the conclusion of the season-opening four-game series at James Madison. Six pitchers (Alex Cillo, Daniel Hart, Dan Goldstein, Jack McLinden, Taylor Runge, Dan Weigel) have a 0.00 ERA during that span.
• Bucknell’s four primary starting pitchers (Jack Boehm, Ryan Ebner, Trey Frahler, Dylan Seeley) have combined for the following:
• Shribman enters the weekend listing among Bucknell’s top 10 in the following career categories: 7th in batting average (.346) … 12th in hits (157) … t-5th in doubles (36) … 5th in RBIs (122) … 5th in total bases (301).
• Bucknell has won five of its last eight games played at Depew Field.
• Depew Field underwent some renovations in the offseason. New brick dugouts and a state-of-the art scoreboard were the additions to the facility, which received a new FieldTurf playing surface prior to the 2010 campaign.
• Bucknell went 4-3 during its seven-game spring break trip to Florida last week. The Bison won four of their first five contests on the trip.
• Bucknell was scheduled to open its home slate this past Wednesday against Mount St. Mary’s. However, a late March snowfall forced the postponement of that game to April 26 at 3:30 p.m.
• Runyan leads the Bison with a .349 batting average this season. His 22 hits, three home runs and 13 RBIs this season are ahead of his career totals entering 2011.
• Frahler’s 21 strikeouts this year lead the Bison and up his career total to 141. He is just four shy of joining the program’s top-10 career list. Former teammates Jason Buursma and Mathew Wilson were the last pitchers to join the list.
• Bucknell 30th-year head coach Gene Depew coached his 1,200th career game last week in Florida against Indiana. He has piled up 553 career wins at the helm of the Bison.
Bucknell 2011 Awards/Honors
Bucknell vs. Longwood