Nov. 2, 2007
LEWISBURG, Pa. -
After opening up with a non-scored dual meet at home against UMBC on Oct. 6, the Bucknell swimming and diving squads will travel to Pittsburgh, Pa., this weekend to face Duquesne on Saturday, Nov. 3, at 2 p.m. In the Patriot League preseason polls, the Bison women were tabbed third with 77 points behind Navy (96 points) and Colgate (85), while the men were picked third with 74 points behind Navy (98) and Army (85).
BISON SWIMMING AND DIVING NOTEBOOK
- Bucknell's men's squad is 1-2-0 all-time in dual meets against Duquesne since first facing the Dukes in 1995, beginning the series with a 145-96 victory in 1994-95, before suffering losses in 1995-96 and 1996-97. On the women's side, the squad holds a 2-1-0 edge in the series, which began in 1994-95 with a 140-103 win followed by a victory in 1995-96 (153-90) and a 139-104 loss in 1996-97.
On the Bison Men So Far in 2007
- The Bison have competed twice at home, thus far, opening with a non-scored dual against UMBC and an intrasquad Blue vs. Orange meet on Oct. 27.
- Versus UMBC, Senior Joseph Metcalf (Knoxville, Tenn./Phillips Exeter Academy (N.H.)) won all three breastroke events as he took first in the 50-yard breaststroke (27.58), posted the top time (1:00.30) in the 100 breast and finished the 200 in two minutes, 13.81 seconds, to claim victory in that event as well. Metcalf was also a part of the winning Bison 400 medley relay along with junior Mark Kawczenski (Wilkes-Barre, Pa./Hanover Area), freshman Michael Volpe (Pottstown, Pa./Owen J. Roberts) and senior John Peterman (Conestoga, Pa./Penn Manor) as the team combined for a time of 3:34.46.
- Senior Grant Steadman (Richmond, Va./Collegiate) was a double-winner on the afternoon, claiming the fastest times in the both the 50 free (21.85) and the 100 free (48.03).
- Junior Jeffrey Manning (Bringhurst, Ind./Carroll Jr./Sr. High) swept the diving events, taking first with a mark of 216.82 on the one-meter board and posting the top score of 249.37 in the three-meter competition.
- Two additional members of the Orange and Blue recorded first-place finishes with Kawczenski winning the 50 back in 24.50 and sophomore Daniel Fletcher taking first in the second running of the 200 free with a time of 1:47.23. In the earlier running of the event, sophomore Luke Trafton (Bath, Maine/Morse) finished as the runner-up with a time of 1:45.77, while classmate Ben Leboza (Green Oaks, Ill./Libertyville) followed in third (1:47.74).
- Trafton recorded two additional top-three finishes on the day, placing second in the 500 free in 4:46.81 and third in the 1000 free with a time of 9:55.20.
- Freshman Gonzalo DeLeon (Ringwood, N.J./Lakeland Regional) took second both the 100 and 200 back with times of 54.07 and 1:55.10, respectively. Right behind DeLeon in the 200 was sophomore David Iselin (Potomac, Md./Churchill) with a time of 2:00.07, claiming third.
- Peterman was the runner-up in three freestyle events, going 22.08 in the 50, 48.59 in the 100 and 1:48.82 in the latter running of the 200.
- Other top Bison performances included Volpe's runner-up showing in the 100 fly (53.42) and third-place finish in the 50 fly (23.35), senior Bradford Bennett's (Harleysville, Pa./Souderton Area) second-place time of 27.67 in the 50 breast and junior Steven Schmaltz's (Waverly, Pa./Abington Heights) score of 213.97 in one-meter diving, good for second in the event.
On the Bison Women So Far in 2007
- Bucknell women's swimming and diving team posted eight first-places finishes as the squad opened the 2007-08 season at home on Saturday, Oct. 6 with a non-scored dual meet against UMBC. The Bison then competed in an intrasquad Blue vs. Orange meet on Oct. 27.
- In the meet against UMBC, sophomores Abigail Atkinson
(Newtown, Conn./Newtown) and Megan Mongan
(Malvern, Pa./Villa Maria Academy) were both double-winners for the Bison. Atkinson claimed the top spots in both the 100- and 200-yard backstroke while Mongan won the 100 IM and the 200 IM. Atkinson was the runner-up in the 50 back as well.
- In front of Atkinson in the 50 back was sophomore Courtney Warren
(Montour Falls, N.Y./Watkins Glen) who won the event and took second in the 100 back.
- Senior Kristen Skroski
(North Haven, Conn./Hopkins) was victorious in the first session of the 200 free, an event which was run twice in the meet was the runner-up in both the 500 free and the 1,000 free.
- In her first collegiate meet, freshman Molly Goebel
(New Canaan, Conn./New Canaan) broke into Bucknell's record book as she posted a time of 24.52 in the 50 free to win the event and move into 10th in program history. Goebel also took third in the 100 free.
- Two more freshmen performed well across several events in their college debuts as Macey Keath
(Lebanon, Pa./Cedar Crest) was the runner-up in the 400 IM and finished third in both the 100 IM and the 200 IM. Katie John
collected three third-place showings on the afternoon, which came in the 200, 500 and 1,000 free.
- Sophomore Sarah Pease
(Harrisburg, Pa./Central Dauphin Senior High) placed in the top three across all three butterfly events, taking second in the 50 and third in both the 100 and the 200.
- On the boards, sophomore Rebecca Bersani
(Fairport, N.Y./Fairport) led the Bucknell contingent, claiming the runner-up spot in both one-meter and three-meter diving.
- In the relays, the Orange and Blue recorded one first-place finish as Mongan, Skroski, John and junior Susan Horstmann
(Havertown, Pa./Cardinal O'Hara) teamed to post the winning time of 3:39.09 in the 400 free relay.
- Other top performances of the day included sophomore Abigail Paules
(York, Pa./Baltimore Lutheran) taking the runner-up spot in the 200 back and junior Kelly Morris
finishing second in the 50 breast.
Honors and Rankings
- Patriot League Preseason Poll - Men: 3rd (74 points); Women: 3rd (77 points)
- The Bison will travel to Annapolis, Md., on Saturday, Nov. 10, for a Patriot League quad meet with Navy, Lafayette and American, which is slated to begin at noon.