Jan. 24, 2008
LEWISBURG, Pa. - The Bucknell women's tennis team is set to travel to Ithaca, N.Y., this weekend, Jan. 25 - 27, for the Cornell Invitational. The Bison are 0-1 on the season after starting 2008 in a dual at Penn State this past Tuesday. Bucknell fell to the Nittany Lions, 7-0, in the season opener.
Bucknell Women's Tennis Notebook
Against Penn State, Jan. 22 -
- The Bison fell to the Nittany Lions, 7-0, bringing Bucknell to 0-1 while Penn State improved to 1-0 on the season.
- Freshman Lauren Lucido (Woodstock, Md./St. Pauls School For Girls) and sophomore Tania Varela (Quito, Ecuador/Alliance Academy) played in the No. 1 doubles position, falling to Jenny Shular and Katelyn BeVard of Penn State, 8-4.
- Varela played at the No. 1 position in singles, dropping, 4-6, 6-1, 6-4, to BeVard.
Bison in Fall 2007 Tournament Play -
- Bucknell closed out the fall season at the ITA East Regional Championships in Norfolk, Va. on Oct. 20, with Lucido and Varela falling in the third round of doubles, 9-8, 7-4, to 11th-seeded Michal Amir and Julia Huschke of Maryland to bring the duo's doubles record to 10-2 for the fall season. Lucido and Varela opened the weekend with a win over Walaa Elsir and Alexis McCoy of Morgan State in the first round, 8-2, and went on to upset the sixth-seeded pair, Elizabeth Googe and Susan Sullivan of Cornell, 8-6, in the second round.
- Junior Paulina Gamboa (Mexico City, Mexico/Greengates School) held a 5-5 overall singles record on the season, 3-1 in Flight 1 and 1-2 in Flight 2. Lucido went 1-1 in Flight 1 singles (3-3 overall) and Varela went 1-3 in Flight 1 singles (1-3 overall).
- In doubles play, Lucido and Varela led the Bison with a record of 5-2 in Flight 1 and 10-2 overall. Senior Caitlin Baffa (Dix Hills, N.Y./Half Hollow Hills High School East) and freshman Dara Dwojewski (Chester, N.J./West Morris Mendham) posted a 5-4 doubles record, 3-1 in Flight 1, while Gamboa and sophomore Carlin Calcaterra (Hinsdale, Ill./Hinsdale Central) went 3-7 overall and 3-5 in Flight 1.
Honors for 2007-08 Season -
- On Oct. 3, Lucido was named Patriot League Player of the Month for women's tennis. To open her collegiate career, Lucido posted a 10-2 combined record in September. She went 2-1 in singles and 8-1 in doubles when paired with Varela.
Looking Ahead -
- Following this weekend's tournament, the Bison will prepare for a home dual against Duquesne on Saturday, Feb. 2 at 1 p.m.