March 24, 2008
LEWISBURG, Pa. - The Bucknell women's tennis team is set to play Mount St. Mary's at home, Tuesday afternoon at 3 p.m., after both matches scheduled for this past week (against Fairleigh Dickinson and Villanova) were cancelled due to weather conditions. Currently, the Bison hold a season record of 4-5 and have won their past three matches, against Rhode Island, Northwestern (Minn.) and Winston-Salem State. Most recently, the Orange and Blue played in Hilton Head, S.C., going 2-0 for their spring break trip.
Bucknell Women's Tennis Notebook
At Hilton Head, S.C. Spring Break Trip -
- Bucknell improved to 4-5 on the season, picking up a 7-0 win over Northwestern (Minn.) on March 11, and a 7-0 win over Winston-Salem State on March 14.
Spring 2008 Singles Records -
- Caitlin Baffa - 2-4 (1-1, No. 4), (0-2, No. 5), (1-1, No. 6)
- Carlin Calcaterra - 4-5 (0-1, No. 2), (2-2, No. 3), (2-2, No. 4)
- Dara Dwojewski - 3-5 (0-1, No. 3), (1-2, No. 4), (2-2, No. 5)
- Paulina Gamboa - 2-5 (0-2 No. 1), (2-3, No. 2)
- Lauren Lucido - 5-4 (3-0, No. 1), (0-2, No. 2), (2-2, No. 3)
- Lauren Rottkamp - 5-2 (1-0, No. 3), (0-1, No. 5), (4-1, No. 6)
- Kirstyn Sotak - 1-0 (No. 6)
- Tania Varela - 2-2 (No. 1)
- Renee Weissend - 1-2 (1-0, No. 5), (0-2, No. 6)
2008 Spring Doubles Records -
Current Bison in the Bucknell Record Books -
- Caitlin Baffa / Dara Dwojewski - 1-5 (0-2, No. 2), (1-3, No. 3)
- Carlin Calcaterra / Paulina Gamboa - 3-5 (1-3, No. 1), (2-2, No. 2)
- Lauren Lucido / Tania Varela - 3-2 (No. 1)
- Lauren Lucido / Caitlin Baffa - 1-1 (No. 2 - 1-1)
- Lauren Lucido / Renee Weissend - 0-1 (No. 3 - 0-1)
- Lauren Lucido / Lauren Rottkamp - 0-1 (No. 3 - 0-1)
- Dara Dwojewski / Renee Weissend - 1-1 (No. 3 - 1-1)
- All-Time Top-15: Combined Victories
- Paulina Gamboa
- 82 (No. 9)
- All-Time Top-15 Doubles Victories
- Paulina Gamboa
- 42 (No. 9)
- Caitlin Baffa
- 33 (Tied No. 13)
- Tania Varela
- 32 (No. 15)
- All-Time Top-15 Combined Winning Percentage
- Tania Varela
- .654 (No. 13)
Bison in Fall 2007 Tournament Play -
- Bucknell closed out the fall season at the ITA East Regional Championships in Norfolk, Va. on Oct. 20, with freshman Lauren Lucido (Woodstock, Md./St. Paul's School for Girls) and sophomore Tania Varela (Quito, Ecuador/Alliance Academy) falling in the third round of doubles, 9-8, 7-4, to 11th-seeded Michal Amir and Julia Huschke of Maryland to bring the duo's doubles record to 10-2 for the fall season. Lucido and Varela opened the weekend with a win over Walaa Elsir and Alexis McCoy of Morgan State in the first round, 8-2, and went on to upset the sixth-seeded pair, Elizabeth Googe and Susan Sullivan of Cornell, 8-6, in the second round.
- Junior Paulina Gamboa (Mexico City, Mexico/Greengates School) held a 5-5 overall singles record on the season, 3-1 in Flight 1 and 1-2 in Flight 2. Lucido went 1-1 in Flight 1 singles (3-3 overall) and Varela went 1-3 in Flight 1 singles (1-3 overall).
- In doubles play, Lucido and Varela led the Bison with a record of 5-2 in Flight 1 and 10-2 overall. Senior Caitlin Baffa (Dix Hills, N.Y./Half Hollow Hills High School East) and freshman Dara Dwojewski (Chester, N.J./West Morris Mendham) posted a 5-4 doubles record, 3-1 in Flight 1, while Gamboa and sophomore Carlin Calcaterra (Hinsdale, Ill./Hinsdale Central) went 3-7 overall and 3-5 in Flight 1.
Honors for 2007-08 Season -
- On Jan. 31, Bucknell was picked second in the Patriot League Preseason Poll, with 40 points and two first-place votes. Army took the No. 1 spot with 49 points and nine first-place points. Colgate took third (35 points, one first-place vote), Lehigh was fourth (27 points), Lafayette was fifth (17 points) and Holy Cross rounded out the list in sixth (12 points).
- On Oct. 3, Lucido was named Patriot League Player of the Month for women's tennis. To open her collegiate career, Lucido posted a 10-2 combined record in September. She went 2-1 in singles and 8-1 in doubles when paired with Varela.
Looking Ahead -
- Up next, Bucknell will host UMBC this Saturday, March 29 at 12 p.m. The Bison will travel to Villanova to make up last week's cancelled match on Monday, March 31. Patriot League play will begin Tuesday, April 1, with a home match against Lehigh at 3 p.m.